Teresa was originally a barrio of Morong named “Oroquieta” but was later renamed Sta. Rosa in honor of the town’s patron. Later it became a barrio of Antipolo inspite of the strong objections from the most of the residents who rather preferred to be under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Morong. This unstable political situation let the residents to clamor for independence. The more politically active group in the area solicited the assistance of Spanish lawyer Don Mariano Rodriguez Candelaria in appealing to Spanish Governor General for independence sometime in 1877. In the process of Sta. Rosa was declared an independent town and was later renamed “Teresa” in honor of Doña Teresa Candelaria, the mother of Don Mariano Rodriguez Candelaria.
In 1903, however, when rebellion broke out, Teresa was again placed under the jurisdiction of Antipolo as a barrio. Thus, a move to regain independence was initiated by the town’s people through the help of Provincial Governor Eulogio Rodgriguez Sr.
In January 1, 1919, Teresa became an independent town comprising of only three (3) barrios namely, May-iba, Pantay and San Roque. Three years after gaining independence, the town was able to provide itself with a municipal building referred to as the Presidencia. The first local election was held on June 3, 1919 with Mr. Roberto de Jesus as the first Municipal Mayor.